Emanation of the local authorities (Ile-de-France region, Paris City, and the others 7 departments), the STIF is the transport authority in the Ile-de-France region.
As such as well , the STIF imagines, plans, organizes, coordinates and funds all public transportation in the Ile-de-France region. Motivates by the sense of public service and public interest, the STIF decides travel improvements. Then, it gives implementation to transport operators.
Adapting transports to new lifestyles and to territorial changes is thus a permanent objectives for the STIF, major player of sustainable mobility in the Ile-de-France region.
What is the role of STIF ?
The STIF organizes public transportation in Ile-de-France
The STIF is the transport authority in the Ile-de-France.
Since 2006, local authorities that make up the STIF,decide and organize the public transportation.
The sense of public service and the defense of public interest are motives for STIF, which mission is to improve and facilitate travel for people in the Ile-de-France region.
The STIF is a place of exchange, expertise and decision making
The STIF provides with, elected officials, users associations and transport operators, improvements and investments relating to public transport in the Ile-de-France region.
The STIF conducts research and plans necessary modifications in relation to the expectations of passengers and territorial equity.
Then, decisions are taken by the elected Council and implementation is given to the transport operators.
The STIF extends and modernizes the subway lines, tram, Tzen, RER, train and bus
Expansion projects and new lines are studied by the STIF in all their aspects: number of people involved and jobs now and in the future, technical feasibility, investment costs and operating costs, completion times, complementarity with the existing network ...
Then, the STIF manages the whole project and validates each step : feasibility studies, public surveys, coordination, project management, construction work, financial monitoring and the commissioning.
The STIF funds public transportation in Ile-de-France
The STIF is responsible for the overall cost balance for transport in the Ile-de-France.
- It manages the operating budget (7.8 billion euros in 2009).
- It is also involved in financing investments (renovation and order new trains, bus, RER, tramway, road and rail infrastructure ...)
- Moreover, It also creates tickets and set their rates.
the STIF gives implementation of its decisions to the transport operators
it delegates the operation of networks and sets targets to :
- The expected service level: number of subways, buses, RER and trains per hour, per line …
- Transport quality: regularity, traffic information, accessibility to disabled people, cleanliness ...
- The timing of implementation and the corresponding funding.
These requirements are formalized through contracts with transport operators : RATP, SNCF and private companies grouped in OPTILE (there are large groups and some independents companies).
The budget control, the staff management and the implementation decisions remain under the responsibility of the companies.
The STIF is attentive to travellers
The travellers are the central concern of STIF
- Through its board, composed by elected officials, in regular contact with their fellow citizens, STIF develops a close relationship with the people from the Ile-de-France region.
- In addition, consultations and public discussions, organized by the STIF, allow project presentations and if these match the public needs. These are important moments for information and exchange with the public.
- Finally, meetings with users associations and elected officials (line Committees) are arranged by the STIF in order to follow the experiences and expectations of the travelers, line by line.